Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Valmont Bike Park Ground Breaking Cross


I took a few video clips with my 7 year old digital camera. Yeah, it's not exactly the greatest quality but it sure does show the basics well.

From CX 10.17.2009

Valmont Bike Park is going to be huge when it is finished. Huge in the sense of 'lets bring out all the cyclists in the community together' type huge. I guess, size wise it will be pretty decently sized at 40 acres with a little bit of everything for everyone-- stairs, sand pits, dirt jumps, run-ups, spectating areas, STXC courses, pump tracks. Although I haven't been around since the beginning, I'm looking forward to it just as much as everyone else.

I did put in my share of time on the Boulder Cycle Sport grill heating up brats and hot dogs for hungry spectators wanting to pitch in some money to pay for the park too.

As for the racing itself, I had a good, clean start until I hit the high speed barriers on lap 1 when on the remount I laid my bike out on the non-driveside, throwing it into my left knee, dropping the chain, twisting the left brake lever inwards and losing 20 spots. That didn't bode well for the rest of the race. I was able to swap back and forth with several other racers as they would slow down on the climb just past the finish line to grab a bottle feed and I continued to motor past them. With 2.5 laps to go, I could see Zach Lee coming in to lap me so I sat in to let him pass and dug to gain a few more spots with only one lap left.


No comments: