Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pikes Peak Velo Cyclocross Race #1



We kicked off the cyclocross racing on the front range yesterday with the Pikes Peak Velo cyclocross race at Bear Creek Regional Park in Colorado Springs. As the first race and the distance to the Springs, this race historically has a low attendance and that was true yesterday with only 10 starters in the Mens 4 race but that was going to stop me from going out hard and racing-- none of this, "It's a training race" nonsense.

First lap through the double barriers. Photo: Bill Keller
As you can see in Josh's Video, I took off from the start and set into a strong lead out which I held for the majority of lap 1 and 2. There was a brief moment that I sat 2nd wheel but the lead rider laid it out going around a loose off camber turn around a fence post on the backside of the course. Then I started having front dérailleur issues- a la Andy Schleck-- and lost the second and third position.

With first through third strung out, I pushed on to stay in fourth for the remainder of the race. There were a few modifications to the course this year including a new uphill finish, different barrier placement and a 3 turn hairpin twisting section which was a good test of bike handling skills. I am still waiting for Josh to post the section of his video from when he struggled through that section. the course was as dry, bumpy and dusty as one would expect from this course when the last rain was 3 weeks prior and the average temperatures have been in the 70s to 80s.

For a first race, I'm pleased with how it went but know that I need step up my barrier speed to stay fast throughout the racing season.

off to pack and kit up from Green Mountain Cross.

No comments: